BC - WA Intermat : May 5, 2018
Round 1 - BC Playing White, WA Playing Black
Round 2 - BC Players staying on the same board as round one and playing Black, WA players swap opponent and playing White
[Invitation only, players list coming soon]
|Round 1 Board #||Team B.C. (White)||CFC (*CMA)||
|Team WA (Black)||NWSRS|
|Round 2 Board #||Team B.C. (Black)||CFC (*CMA)||
|Team WA (White)||NWSRS|
Thanks to the Organizing Teams & Volunteers
- Intermat Organizing Committee (Curtis Lister, Paul Lablanc, Stephen Wright, Michael Lo)
- UBC Chess Club (Lee Wang, Jeremy Hui)
- Washington Chess Federation (WCF President Josh Sinanan)
B.C. Team Captain(s): TBD
WA Team Captain(s): Josh Sinanan & Chouchanik Airapetian
Tournament Director(s): Stephen Wright - FIDE Arbiter (Chief Arbiter), Jacob Mayer (Arbiter)
Date & Time: Saturday May 5th, 2018, 9:30am - 6:30pm
Location: University of British Columbia
Format: Top two available BC players from each grade, grades K-12, compete against the top two WA players from the same grades
Time Control & Rating: G90+30 seconds increment, Two Games, FIDE Rules, Unrated
Recording: Required, score sheets provided, please bring your own pen
Awards: Rotating Team Trophy engraved with the winning state/province for the year
Entry Fee: FREE, by invitation - it is an honor to represent your province or state in this international match
Food: Free light lunch + bottled Water (players and parents, assuming 1 parent per player)
Miscellaneous: Commemorative team wear will be supplied by Team BC to all the players
9:30am Check-in, Pickup team wear, Team Photos, Opening Speech and Tournament Rules Announcement
10:00am Round 1
2:30pm Round 2 (players finished late in round 1 may start round 2 a bit late with TD approval)
6:30pm or ASAP Closing Ceremony
Venue - University of British Columbia
[Irving K Barber Learning Centre (IBLC) - Room 185, 1961 East Mall , Vancouver, BC V6T 1Y3]
[More Parking - https://parking.ubc.ca/map]
Food & Drinks - UBC "Feed Me Now" Directory & Map:
- on-site: vending machines for drinks, Ike's Cafe
- 3 minutes walk: Starbucks, Triple O's, Tim Hortons, Bento Sushi, Harvest Express, Subway, Booster Juice
- UBC Marketplace
Attractions & Activities:
- UBC UBC Self and Free Guided Tours
- General UBC Attractions
- UBC Interactive and Printable Maps
- UBC Museum of Anthropology
- UBC Beaty Biodiversity Museum - Groupon admission deal (about 50% off, last checked January 2018)
- Vancouver Events in May
- Other Vancouver Attractions on Groupon
Hotels in the city of Vancouver are more expensive, in Richmond are more economical, both takes about 15-20 minutes to drive to UBC.
Following are some hotels that are reasonable to stay for a night (for reference only):
Accommodation at UBC (On Campus)
The above are only for reference, use your favorite hotel booking site to research and use your AAA or other club discount to get a better rate.
Eligibility rules for Team BC player selection
The Intermat Organizing Committee ("Committee") has the authority on the selection and forming of the Intermat BC Team, in general the Committee will follow the guidelines below.
- Team BC will be composed of two players per grade from kindergarten to grade twelve.
- In each grade both players will be invited based on the last CFC regular ratings list published at least eight weeks preceding the Intermat. CMA or other ratings may be used as a reference if a player either does not have a CFC rating or their CFC rating is judged inaccurate due to being based on too few games.
- If it is not possible to fill both spots after the top five players per grade have been invited, the Committee reserves the right to invite players from lower grades to fill the remaining place(s), based on rating and merit.
- Residency Rule - all Team BC players in the Intermat must reside in B.C. and: a) have resided in B.C. for a total of at least six months in the twelve months prior to the start of the Intermat or b) have resided in B.C. for the three months prior to the start of the Intermat.